Re: how much bandwidth to dedicate?

Nicolas Patik wrote:
I want to provide internet to home users with 256 Kbps and I have a 3
Mbps dedicated internet connection.

Do you think It's ok to split the 3 Mbps in 480 users?

It depends what they are used to or can get.

It will only take 12/480 users downloading to fill the link - 24 to half the speed for everyone.

40:1 contention doesn't sound that bad - I am on a product sold as 50:1 - but I see NO contention - at all.

The figure of 50:1 is made up, in the UK it seems they can't get away with running the exchange link at any more than 15:1 on a 10meg VC (512k home customers).

ISPs may further contend - link from teleco to ISP and ISP and to internet routes.

I haven't got a clue how many people I share the teleco to ISP link with, but I am on one of their four 622meg lines - and contention is alot nicer on fat pipes.

Andy.