multiple providers

Hi,
I have Mandrake 10.0 (official). I have read the section in lartc about
"Routing for multiple uplinks/providers", but still I have some queries
below.
I have a DSL connection where they give pppoe which is directly terminated
into eth1 of my Linux box. Now I have another machine connected to dial-up
and it is on same LAN connected to eth0 of Linux box. Now, can I use
both these bandwidths (this is a test exercise to understand lartc) and
do sort of load balancing? Is there any patching needed for my kernel?
How do I make sure that indeed both the lines are used?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance.
With warm regards,
-Payal