routing question

So far I have been used to using linux to provide simple routing from my network to others using commands such as ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 via 192.168.0.4 etc and it has all worked perfectly.
I also use smoothwall GPL to provice vpn services, however I have hit on a problem and am not at all clear on the way in which to proceed.
I now need to provide a route to services, the access to these is provided by a router on a network on the far end of a VPN. the computers on the remote network can see the service I need to access, however when I try to provice a route to that system using a router on the remoted network by issuing a command such as 192.168.5.0/24 via 192.168.15.6 in the router at 192.168.0.4 I get the following :-
RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable.

My question is , what way of providing access to this route do I need to follow, Is it GRE tunnels (not the best option as I don't have enough information on the remote router configurations and am not able to change their settings). Do I have to use new routing tables or is there something else I must do to get this working?