Re: hfsc scheduler

I'm using HFSC. But I haven't had time to really understand how to
correctly define curves. So i'm using it the linear way.
I'm just using a rt service curve for my interactive class. (but the
root class is a linear one)

for sure a simple example for a real case could help.
hmm in my case on my 2028/256kbits adsl line: my classes are roughly
defined like this:
      root
     /      \
interactive bulk_parent
            /        \
          normal     boring_bulk_parent
                      /              \
              syn+small_acks        real_boring_bulk
                                    /     |       \
                                   host1 host2    host3

(ul rates are near 240kbits, it's a bit less for "boring" classes)

My interactive class is defined like this:
... ls umax ${MTU}b dmax 25ms rate ${MAX}kbit \
    rt umax ${MTU}b dmax 25ms rate ${MAX}kbit

25ms, it's a bit less than the latency i have when my link isn't used.

i guess my setup is not really coherent. bulk_parent shouldn't be a
linear service class. And if that's true, all its leaf classes
shouldn't be linear services ones.

another thing, (an example is better than a long long phrase:)
using the same class tree with htb:
 host[1-3] upload at 25kB/s, if I start a ftp upload (normal bulk
 class), it takes precedence, host[1-3] are slowed and the ftp upload
 gets(sends at) more than 25kB/s
I'd like to use HFSC and always have that behavior.

I'm pretty sure a howto-use-hfsc-in-real-context+faq could help. :)
unfortunatly I'm afraid not a lot of people can write it :)
i've read the theory docs, english isn't not my monther tongue language
and for me there's a huge gap between hfsc theory and hfsc in a real
situation.

Anyway, many thanks to Patrick for his work and the documentation he
wrote.

at the moment, for my usage, i prefer to use HFSC rather than HTB.