Re: HTB: Problem with excess bandwidth distribution

Andy Furniss wrote:

Leslie Patrick Polzer wrote:

Hello,

I have a serious problem with HTB which I wasn't able to solve myself.

I run a masquerading router with ppp0 as interface to the Internet.
Three clients need to share a downstream of 1 MBit, which I want
to divide with tc.
When I see a packet being forwarded to one of these clients, I give
it the appropriate unique mark:

iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -d 192.168.34.141 -j MARK --set-mark 1
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -d 192.168.34.140 -j MARK --set-mark 2
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -d 192.168.1.2 -j MARK --set-mark 3

Because it might be of interest: 192.168.34.0/24 is on network A
with 10 MBit, 192.168.1.0/24 is on network B with 100 MBit.

I then attach an IMQ device imq0 to the FORWARD table:

You can't use IMQ in forward AFAIK, see

http://www.docum.org/docum.org/kptd/

Hmmm, really? I mean, all intended packets are going through it, no errors whatsoever. They are being marked correctly by iptables and tc filter classifies according to mark. The only problem seems to be the excess bandwidth distribution, which leaves me to the question:

How could the hooks of IMQ and the excess bandwidth
distribution of HTB relate in this setup?

I hope you are understanding that I do not question your
knowledge. I'm just not fully persuaded of this yet, so I'd
like to discuss it a bit more.

And thanks a lot for the additional information you gave me!

Kind regards,

Leslie