Re: Qdisc statistics project

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 09:32, Antonios Chalkiopoulos wrote:
> As a necessety for my job is to real-time monitor the bytes, packets,
> packet dropped etc of all the qdiscs working inside the kernel i've tried
> varius methods:
>
> 1. Parse tc -s command output and update a round robin database and use
> rrdtool to graphically display tc statistics.

I find that generally works.

> [varius perl scripts exist for the above job]
>
> 2. Unsuccesfully tried QoS SNMP extensions, in order to use a new MIB to
> extract qdisc stats from.

I was playing with that as well, but of late it doesn't seem to be actively
developed.  Someone else mentioned LQL[1], but it doesn't seem to have hooks
to let you grab qdisc stats yet.

[1] http://www.coverfire.com/lql/

> There is also some work in the kernel level that will help reveal qdisc
> stats to userspace (thanks Thomas Graf)

Are you talking about tcstat[2]?

[2] http://reeler.org/tcstat/index.html

> To get to the point.. the perl parsing method is hackish and quick&dirty.
> A proper open-source tc monitoring tool SHOULD exist ! Maybe inside
> iproute2 maybe in sourceforge.

LQL seems to be the only actively developed project currently that could
eventually allow you to plug into netlink and poll for statistics.  Right now
it seems you can only get and set parameters.

> Are there any volunteers to start working on such a project? I could put
> 4-6 weeks full time work on that... any suggestion for the most proper
> solution to the above problem is welcome.

I wrote yet another script to poll `tc` for statistics and pass that
information off to RRDTool via Perl's RRDs module.  I am using it for
diagnostic purposes.  It polls every 10s and updates a graph[3].

For long term tracking I am going to write a simple plugin for Munin[4] to
grab information every five minutes and pass that off for graphing.

[3] http://edseek.com/foo.png
[4] http://www.linpro.no/projects/munin/

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator