Re: What is the reccomended minimum rate for leaf htb classfor accurate operation?

mjoachimiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

mjoachimiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Your gues is right. To get HTB work correctly you must know rate

parameter

for your connection also known as CIR.
Coud you tell what minimum rate your clients have?

My worst HTB class has rate&ceil 778bps.

I guess the lower the rate, the less accurate the result. It can't be
accurate, because the class already exceeds it's limit by sending just
one single packet.

I agree. As far as I know average MTU is 1500bytes. I have rate 13kbit/8=1625bytes so the limit should not be reached. Maybe there is overhead on ppp link and with this overhead clients gets congested? What do you think? Any ideas?

Low rates seem OK for me. I don't think relating packet size to rate in kbit/sec is the right way to think about things.

A class with a low rate will send a packet and then not be able to send again for an amount of time which is (pre)calculated from packet size and rate. The time may be > 1 second, so things work out in the end.

Andy.

Maybe it's more accurate in the long run, but I don't have any
statistics to prove that. Anyway, the traffic for that class is damn
slow, and that's all I need to know. ;-)

Andreas