Re: QoS for Voip.

Am Monday 19 July 2004 14:45 schrieb Alessandro Ren:
>     To change the SFQ queue size I must recompile de kernel?

Yes. It's not dynamic. But you could use ESFQ instead, I think it allows
specifying the queue length with the tc command.

> When the voip traffic starts, there is  a inicial delay untill the 1:20
> class starts to free bandwidth to the 1:10 class, as I've noticed. Should
> I change the burst and cburst parameters to get a better response or just
> make de queues smaller?

This is just guesswork, I haven't checked the code:

As far as I understand the way QoS is implemented in the kernel, a packet
may only get out of the queue if the qdisc (in your case HTB) allows it
to. If that's correct, the queue size should not matter, your problem is
that HTB allows the 1:20 class to dequeue whilst 1:10 does not get a
chance to do stuff. If you get a delay, then HTB is just too slow
adjusting for the changed conditions.

I haven't noticed such a problem myself though, since there is usually
always traffic in my classes...

Andreas