Re: the "cisco vs. Linux" thread

Glen Mabey wrote:
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:07:57PM -0400, Jos? Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:

you can use an Athlon 64 with DDR RAM and very good network hardware (that is very, very important)

Regarding NICs, are there any recommendations out there for which
manufacturers to go with?  I don't need anything faster than 100baseT.

I would think that Intel and 3Com would be in the "reliable" category,
and RTL-based cards in the "forget it" category.

On the Intel note, I wonder what experience y'all have had with the two
different drivers for the EtherExpressPro/100 card.  That is, eepro100
versus e100.  I would think that noone would take the time to rewrite a
driver if there wasn't anything wrong with the original one.

Thank you--
Glen Mabey

I have had some good luck with Intel cards using either drivers. I haven't noticed much difference between them but I haen't done a lot of stress testing on them.

On a side note has anyone built a linux router with dual/quad port ethernet cards (ie Intel PRO/1000 MT Quad Port Server Adapter)?