Re: the "cisco vs. Linux" thread

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:07:57PM -0400, Jos? Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> you can use an Athlon
> 64 with DDR RAM and very good network hardware (that is very, very
> important)

Regarding NICs, are there any recommendations out there for which
manufacturers to go with?  I don't need anything faster than 100baseT.

I would think that Intel and 3Com would be in the "reliable" category,
and RTL-based cards in the "forget it" category.

On the Intel note, I wonder what experience y'all have had with the two
different drivers for the EtherExpressPro/100 card.  That is, eepro100
versus e100.  I would think that noone would take the time to rewrite a
driver if there wasn't anything wrong with the original one.

Thank you--
Glen Mabey