Re: Simply IMQ

Walt, www.linuximq.net version is the evolution from Devik->McHardy's IMQ. Roy started a project where he developed his own implementation of IMQ like functionality. I can't tell you more about his version because I never had a chance to give it a try.

The IMQ version from www.linuximq.net that comes from the original IMQ implementation really needs patching the kernel and iptables sources.

Andre

Walt Wyndroski wrote:
So you are saying that I do not need to patch my kernel? I do not understand
that statement. I had to recompile my kernel with the imq patch as well as
iptables before IMQ would work for me. The way I have always understood IMQ
is that it is a virtual network device, a virtual network card if you will.
Therefore it seems to me that egress would apply since iptables is only
being used to redirect traffic through the virtual IMQ device. IPROUTE2/TC
would then shape traffic leaving the virutal IMQ device (egress traffic).
This is how I understand IMQ. If I am wrong, please set me straight.

From what you are saying, either IMQ is completely unstable or iptables
and/or the tcp/ip stack is unstable. Not that I am a guru on the internals
of iptables or the Linux tcp/ip stack, but I think iptables and the Linux
tcp/ip stack is most likely stable. To be fair, I must admit that I have not
had a full opportunity to test out your version of IMQ either, only the
prior versions.

Who's version of IMQ resides on www.linuximq.org ?

Walt Wyndroski

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roy" <roy@xxxxxx>