Simply IMQ

I've followed this list for quite a long time and have even posted a couple
of times. I used the early versions of IMQ from Devik (I think that was his
name), and it worked well. I only ever got the chance to implement it in my
test environment. I now need to implement it in my production environment.
My Linux core router has nine interfaces and has a 27 megabit connection to
the internet. It is quite busy much of the time. It runs Fedora Core 1 now
but will most likely be upgraded to Fedora Core 2 in the next month or so.

Now with all that said, here is my question. I see that maintenance of IMQ
has been passed on a couple of times. I see some people say that IMQ is not
stable and should not be put into a production environment. My use of IMQ a
year ago invovled only egress qdiscs using HTB and SFQ because the egress
qdiscs were much more powerful and better than the ingress qdisc. The only
problem that I ever had with IMQ was using the iptables target with both
PREROUTING and POSTROUTING. I see Roy has posted that IMQ essentially
crashes when doing egress shaping. Is this correct? I've always understood
egress as outbound shaping/filtering and ingress as inbound
shaping/filtering. I say that because I saw in an earlier post by Roy that
he changed his terminology to INPUT,OUTPUT, and FORWARD. Was he not using
the terms egress and ingress correctly? I see that the current 'big' problem
is touching locally generated traffic. What I need to know is which version
of IMQ is most stable for kernel 2.6? Or even kernel2.4? Is it Devera's?
McHardy's? Correa's? or Roy's? Or should I just leave it alone? My apologies
if I got names wrong.

This is probably a long email just to ask that question, but I can't seem to
find an answer from the list archives. I downloaded the whole 46 mb archive
and essentially read 90% of the posts related to IMQ. I'm just trying to get
a good understanding of what's happening with/to IMQ.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Walt Wyndroski