Re: filter ingress policy rates -> slow!!

El Sábado, 3 de Julio de 2004 17:02, gypsy escribió:
> Edulix wrote:
> > BTW, Should I warn the Fedora devels about the JIFFIES problem?
>
> No.  It is set to JIFFIES because that is the setting required so that
> all the CPUs in the kernel .config list work.  If you select 386 or 486
> in 'make config', make bzImage will fail because the CPU does not
> support a clock.  'cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep tsc' - if that would work in
> a .h file - would return TRUE for CPUs that do support a clock.
> Otherwise, the Time Of Day clock (IRQ 8) or "jiffies" (IRQ 0) should be
> used.

Well, a bit more info: I've tried to reproduce the same thing in my sister's
 computer. Whereas I have a Athlon XP 2000+, she has a Celeron 2.4 Ghz.
 Whereas I use FC1, she uses SuSE 9.0. I saw in the sources that she also has
 JIFFIES configured.

Basically, exactly the same problem happens in her computer, her rate instead
 of be of 44~ kb/s was of about... 400-700kb/s.

After that, I just remembered that I've got gentoo installed in other
 partition of my PC. I rebooted, and went to kernel sources (using vanilla
 2.6.1). I aw that it was using JIFFIES; so I changed to CPU. Then I executed
 make menuconfig  to be sure that I selected Athlon as my cpu type and that
 QoS modules was selected (they were). So I didn't need to change anything in
 the conifguration: Finally, I executed "make" and "make modules_install",
 did a "modprobe -r sch_ingress; modprobe sch_ingress.

I executed : "eshaper start downlink" and assured with a "eshaper status"
 that the rules were there (no packets droped still). Then I tried copying
 file from my sister's computer via scp and it went at about a 700 Kb/s to
 1.2 Mb/s rate! Note that in Fedora, in the pretty same pc, it went at only
 40 Kb/s.

"eshaper status" told me that there were many many packets dropped. I tried
 to transfer files without any tc rules (executed "eshaper stop" for cleaning
 them) and it went at 10 Mb/s - files transfered much faster.

I haven't checked CPU usage in this tests though... it might be a good idea.

Any ideas? What to do now ? I'm still looking for compiling my sister's kernel
with CPU instead of JIFFIES, because maybe it will go at desired speed -
remember that even with JIFFIES the rate was of ~400-700 kb/s!

Thanks for your time,
        Edulix.