Re: TBF maximum bucket size

On Friday 25 June 2004 06:14, Ross Skaliotis wrote:
> I'm trying to fill a token bucket with enough tokens to burst several gigs
>
> of data. However, it doesn't seem to get any higher than ~3.9GB:
>   >tc qdisc add dev eth0 root tbf rate 1440kbit latency 50ms \
>
> 	burst 16000000000
>
>   >tc qdisc show dev eth0
>
> qdisc tbf 800b: rate 1440Kbit burst 3908420240b lat 2197.8s
>
> A smaller attempt of ~1.6 gigs works just fine:
>   >tc qdisc add dev eth0 root tbf rate 1440kbit latency 50ms \
>
> 	burst 160000000
>
>   >tc qdisc show
>
> qdisc tbf 800c: dev eth0 rate 1440Kbit burst 156250Kb lat 48.8ms
>
> Is there any way around this? I have a 500GB/month colocation deal. This
> means I can send a sustained traffic stream of 1440Kbit/s. However, most
> of my server's traffic will be in bursts. I figured it makes sense to have
> a 1440Kbit/s stream of tokens going into a TBF with a bucket large enough
> to hold maybe a few days worth of that stream. I have a 100Mbit connection
> to the internet, and there will be days when that will be close to maxed
> out. However, I need to protect myself, as going over 500GB will cost me a
> fortune in overage charges. So... is there any way I can create a larger
> bucket? Anything I'm doing wrong?
The problem is that tbf is not made for this.
What you can do, is creating a scrpit that reads the counters from your
network card (or iptables or tc) and calculaltes the bytes you have send.  If
that exceeds 400GB, it warns you and throtthles the bandwidth with tc.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"