Re: management of virus and p2p-traffic

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 17:06, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
> >The Windows machines with their viruses give me a
> >headache. I do not want to enforce remote Windows patching and
> >virusscanner updating. It should also be taken into account that there
> >is nearly no money available for any special equipment. Best would be to
> >get this job done with a couple of old computers.
> >

> One thing you could address is that most virus's arrive via smtp. Can
> you scan inbound smtp traffic, perhaps with clamav?  Or do users have
> their own external email accounts?

We have a Novel Groupwise service that should be used for email (via the
managed 3Mbit connection). That system supports spam-filtering and
virus-scanning. Unfortunately that service does not support any security
functions and is not reliable. There will be not much change about that.
So I want and I must support users who use their external email
accounts.

Ralf