Re: Sharing bandwidth

Peter Kaagman wrote:

Hi there,

I've got the following problem on my hand.....
I'm a sysop for a school in the netherlands. We have a network with 5 different schools (and 1 administration). Each of those have their own ip range in the private network (10.4.0.0 10.5.0.0 and so on).
For all these schools we have an internet uplink of 2mbit. And this bandwidth should be shared as fairly as possible.

So I started reading the the lartc HOWTO but was startled by the technical terms I found there...... I kinda understand what i meant..... but would like some advice which option I should further investigate.

What I want to do is spit up the 2mbit pipe in 6. Guarantee 1/6 of the bandwidth per network and allowing more if it is availlable.

Is this possible? If so which traffic control scheme should I investigate?

As was suggested, HTB is your friend, with perhaps an SFQ or ESFQ attached.

However, it's worth just ploughing on with the LARTC readme - at the end of that you will be an expert in the subject, and it only looks hard when you start (keep going and reread it).

For scripts, I think that this one is by far the best starting point. It's got just about everything in, and although it's designed for a single user, I think with the help of LARTC you can modify it for your network, and the incoming part is really quite powerful
http://digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/

Good luck

Ed W