Shaping incoming traffic on the other interface

Hi,
I have a typical configuration for my firewall/gateway box: single network card, with a pppoe connection to the DSL modem.
I'm already successfully shaping the uplink (how come that the wondershaper.htb doesn't use the ceil parameter? It should implement bandwidth borrowing!) but i found the ingress policy a little bit rough.
I'd like to keep the traffic categories i have in the uplink: ssh, web and batch.
The goal is to discard packets of the lowest class first, then the middle, and so on.
I've implemented a simmetrical downlink version of the uplink shaping on eth0, the other interface. However, i get this error (warning?) in the log:
pppoe[29606]: send (sendPacket): No buffer space available
It looks like the interface queue is complaining that it cannot deliver a packet (the uplink queue being full) and therefore discarding some packet. This is not the behaviour i meant.
Anybody has ideas/suggestions/comments?

As an alternative, it would be a pretty good solution to tell the polishing filter to discard only packets where the source port is !22. But i'd rather stay away of a ingress policer, because i had problems with it.

Thanks in advance,

MatB