Re: Slashdot on WRT54G

james jones wrote:

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:14:11 +0100
From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Also, any other issues with a uk ADSL line that might prevent this working...?

If your provider is using PPPoA instead of PPPoE then you might have
some problems. I'm not sure if the Linksys unit in default config
handles PPPoA. The only reason I mention this is because I know that
BT uses PPPoA.

Actually I asked what I thought was a silly question because I had naively thought that the WRT54G was also an adsl modem. Having read the specs it appears just to be a wireless accesspoint with some firewall ability.

So I guess I'm curious how BT's choice of PPoA would affect things? For sure their MTU is 1492 instead of 1500 (although I read they wanted to change that...). But I would have expected pretty much everything else to be transparent apart from the abilities of accurately guaging speed with tc rules..?

Thanks for any insight

Ed W