HTB latency

Hi list,

playing around with HTB showed that it may introduces pretty much latency
for our setup. Docum.org says the following:

"The default qdisc added to a htb class is pfifo_fast qdisc. The size of the
qdisc is the device queue length and this is 100 packets for an ethernet
device. So if you want to have a shorter queue, you have to add a shorter
qdisc to the htb qdisc."

Can someone point me how to reduce this queue length or wich else qdisc I
can use to improve latency? All I need is a short queue in addition to the
shaping accuracy of HTB. Things like SFQ don't help. CBQ is a bit faster but
 far more inaccurate.

Thanks for any help!

Regards