Re: Strategy for about 200 part-time users

* Ed Wildgoose <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [040518 08:57]:
> What is your goal?  Why isn't 2 buckets, one for P2P and the everything
> else bucket (with an SFQ on each) enough for what you want (ie what's
> your target?)  What's wrong with the current setup (apart from wanting
> to switch to MAC access)?

Well, as I see it (which could easily be wrong), the problem is with
setting up over 200 buckets, even though only 60 to 90, maybe, are
active at any one time.  With the limited bandwidth we have available
(it is very expensive here), it makes rather tiny buckets.

If we further divide so there is a bucket for P2P and a regular bucket
for each client, now you have over 600 buckets, right?  One class per
user and two leaves? Unfortunately, we HAVE to break this down by
client, and be able to track bandwidth by client.  In fact, by client,
rather than by machine, which is why I thought of marking by a client
number, on upload, at least.  Then, on download, IP numbers could
translate BACK into client marks by the same Perl script and lookups.

What I was really asking is whether redistributing the buckets every 2
minutes is a problem.  I know the SFQ perturbs every 5 or 10 seconds,
so 2 minutes seemed conservative, comparatively.

But I know I might be looking at this all wrong, so I'd appreciate any
hint I could get.

> I think I saw that there was something called ESFQ which does something
> similar to SFQ but on a per IP basis, rather than a per port/IP basis.
> Perhaps that would help?  The HOWTO has an example of setting up a hash
> type ruleset, perhaps that could be modified to work with MAC addresses...?

Thanks, I'll take a look at that also.  While the traffic control
documentation is pretty good, it could use more commented examples.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          jan@xxxxxxxxxxx
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz