Re: Bandwith thinking error

Am Thursday 13 May 2004 20:59 schrieb Lars Oeschey:
> Andreas Klauer wrote:
> >The modified wondershaper is here:
> >    http://www.metamorpher.de/files/wshaper-over-lan.htb
>
> I would like that p2p just gets the bandwidth thats
> left over after http, is that possible?

It's hard to get the P2P stuff right. First of all, it's usually
download traffic - but Wondershaper only shapes upload traffic.
Second of all, what is P2P traffic? Matching http protocol probably won't
work, since some P2P programs also use HTTP. (IIRC BitTorrent uses http to
communicate with the tracker). If you're only prioritizing specific port,
you'll find many other forms of communications (chats, ftp, whatever) be
slow because that's put into same class as P2P too.

> What I tried with the original
> script was this, could that work?
>
> tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
>    match ip dport 3128 0xffff flowid 1:10
>
> tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
>    match ip sport 3128 0xffff flowid 1:10

3128 is a http port? I didn't know >_>

> tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
>    match ip dport 80 0xffff flowid 1:10
>
> tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
>    match ip sport 80 0xffff flowid 1:10

That'd be bad for interactive connections... change default to 30,
lower rate for 30 (low rate, high ceil, large prio, so the class has to
borrow everything). Put http traffic into 20. Wondershaper's rate settings
are weird anyway - sum of child rates is much larger than parent rate.

HTH
Andreas