Re: Bandwith thinking error

<Zitiere wer="Andreas Klauer">

> You have to add your filters then to the DSL class instead of
> parent qdisc, and a filter in the parent qdisc that puts packets
> that go to the Router IP into the DSL class. Or modify your filters
> so that they only apply to  Router packets. Especially if you're
> using ingress, you have to modify the  policy filters so that they
> only apply to packets coming from the router.

err, what's ingress?

> As a simplified ascii graphic:
>
>   HTB qdisc
>    \--- HTB fat class (LAN rate)
>          \--- HTB DSL class (DSL rate; only packets to the router
>          go here) \--- HTB LAN class (LAN-DSL rate; all other
>          packets go here)
>
> A problem with this design would be if you have additional local
> traffic  that goes to the router (e.g. a ssh session to the router
> that does not  actually go to the internet). This would be
> classified as DSL traffic too.  I don't know if filters can be
> designed in a way that they only match on  gateway'ed traffic.

There's the occasional http traffic to the router for configuration
(it's the current t-online WLan device), but that's quite rare and I
don't care if it's a bit slow then (hey, I already worked with imap
over 384k in my LAN ;)).
> Shaping this way won't work particularly well especially if there
> are other  users in your LAN using the router. You should do the
> shaping directly on  the router in any case.

There's just me and my wife, and she only uses http over the proxy on
the shaped machine. I will transfer her pop3 access to the linux-box
w/fetchmail some day, so every traffic goes through the linux-box.Um. Forgot about ftp, it's currently direct... perhaps I should set up
a ftp proxy too then... But it's also quite rare.
Are there any tools to define the shaping? Or do I really have to
write it from scratch?
Lars