Re: Packet marking for ingress shapping and NAT

Andreas Klauer wrote:

Am Monday 10 May 2004 12:10 schrieb Patrick Spousta:

So I need mark packets to divide them to corresponding queue.

That's all right so far. But the qdisc that shapes incoming traffic usually sits on your LAN device.

I think you are wrong. Shapping can sits on all interfaces, physical and logical. IMQ is logical interface.

It has a small problem. After PREROUTING some packets are routed to
INPUT (packets intended for this machine for local processes)

Does exists solution how to NAT and MARK in PREROUTING, but in this
order?

I'm not sure if I understand what you want to do. Why do you want to mark

My linux box has 1 WAN interface (to ISP with public IP address) and 3 LAN interfaces (with private IP addresses). Only way how to shape incoming traffic is use IMG device because shapping is provided on egress. I understood that packet 'path' looks like this

eth0 -> kernel -> IMQ -> kernel -> ethX
                      ^^^ here is 'egress' where I can do shapping.

But I need divide traffic to the corresponding queues according to real destination IP. Maybe I don't need marking, I can only use tc filter, but it must be done in place where packet has real destination IP, ie. behind (de)NAT.

To IMQ 'interface' I put packets via iptables. Ideal in PREROUTING chain, but I think I can use only 'mange' table and that is before 'nat' :-( So now I'm using FORWARD chain but local traffic is going outside of shapping path

INPUT packets? There is no qdisc/class to put them in. As for shaping incoming traffic that doesn't get forwarded to the LAN, I haven't found a proper solution to do that yet. So all I can do is make sure that the router doesn't produce any traffic (e.g. don't put a Webserver or similar services on it).

But it isn't goor solution :-(

Patrick