Re: shaping domain names(www.xyz.com)

On Saturday 08 May 2004 09:08, Michael Renzmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Stef Coene wrote:
> >>You could achieve this by using different firewall marks for the
> >>different traffic classes, and shape upon that marks. IIRC there is an
> >>iptables-extension available that allows to match strings, so you could
> >>try to match "Host: <domain>" in order to distinguish the different
> >>domains. But I have no idea if this would work in real world, nor what
> >>performance impact that may have.
> >
> > Only one problem.  Tc sees ip packets and ip packets contains ip
> > addresses, not hostnames.  So you can't do this.
>
> But tc sees the fwmark value that iptables has attached to a packet,
> right? Hence the idea to accomplish the "destination host distinction"
> with iptables-rules, setting fwmark accordingly and let tc decide on the
> different fwmark values.
But when do you see the hostname?  In the dns request and maybe in the http
request.  For all other packets only the ip address is known.

Rereading the original post, I think he has an other problem.  I think he is
speaking of a web-server that's been hosts on different ip addresses.  Like
google.com:

Name:   google.com
Address: 216.239.57.99
Name:   google.com
Address: 216.239.39.99
Name:   google.com
Address: 216.239.37.99

So you have to shape on 3 ip addresses.  For that problem you can use iptables
to mark packets and use googe.com.  It will be expanded to 3 rules matching
the 3 ip addresses.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx