FW: ISP Static IP assinging

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

>> Not sure if this is the right mailing list for this but its kinda on
topic.
>It is ADVANCED routing; you have a simple configuration issue, so I hope
you posted more than just here.

>> we've installed a linux machine which load balances 2 adsl lines.  The
>You left out a critical bit of info:  WHAT DISTRO?  F.E. Slackware does
this in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/rc/d/rc.inet1.conf
Its red hat 9

>It sure as hell is not doing load balancing if it isn't getting assigned
correct IPs.

I'm using a program called netsplitter from www.hostname.org seems rather
crude but does the job.

>> trouble is the ip address assigned to it when it connects isn't
>> anything like the static IP addresses they've provided.
Again, critical info missing: WHAT IP DO YOU GET?

The IPs I get seems to be dynamically assigned from the ISP, not different
every time but do vary from week to week.

>>Each Network Interface Card ("NIC" or "eth# where "#" is 0 to n) can
>>respond to any number of IPs.  This was called "aliasing" (a hit for
>>your google search) but because these are real IPs, the term alias is
>>wrong.  You (probably) need only 1 of the 5 IPs for each of the 2 DSLs;
>>each DSL should be on a different eth#.

Probably should of mentioned that I'm using 2 speedtouch usb modems which as
you could probably guess once connected are ppp0 and ppp1.

>Is there something I have to
> change in order to make use of these addreses?
>>YOU assign the IPs, not Linux or the DSL device ("modem" or "router" or
>>whatever terminology).

>You need to read about DHCP and NAT because it is likely that the IP
>assigned via DHCP begins with one of the following
>10.0
>169.254
>172.16
>192.168
>which are NATted, example, internal IPs.

>Sorry, but I don't have time this morning to say more.
Don't be sorry you responded and that was enough.

Anyway I'm going to do a bit of googling on aliasing and see what I can dig
up.

Cheers.

Chris