Re: ISP Static IP assinging

Chris Bolton wrote:

> Not sure if this is the right mailing list for this but its kinda on topic.
It is ADVANCED routing; you have a simple configuration issue, so I hope
you posted more than just here.

> we've installed a linux machine which load balances 2 adsl lines.  The
You left out a critical bit of info:  WHAT DISTRO?  F.E. Slackware does
this in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/rc/d/rc.inet1.conf

It sure as hell is not doing load balancing if it isn't getting assigned
correct IPs.

> trouble is the ip address assigned to it when it connects isn't anything
> like the static IP addresses they've provided.
Again, critical info missing: WHAT IP DO YOU GET?

Each Network Interface Card ("NIC" or "eth# where "#" is 0 to n) can
respond to any number of IPs.  This was called "aliasing" (a hit for
your google search) but because these are real IPs, the term alias is
wrong.  You (probably) need only 1 of the 5 IPs for each of the 2 DSLs;
each DSL should be on a different eth#.

>Is there something I have to
> change in order to make use of these addreses?
YOU assign the IPs, not Linux or the DSL device ("modem" or "router" or
whatever terminology).

You need to read about DHCP and NAT because it is likely that the IP
assigned via DHCP begins with one of the following
10.0
169.254
172.16
192.168
which are NATted, example, internal IPs.

Sorry, but I don't have time this morning to say more.

gypsy