Port forwarding/translation control

My Linux system is acting as a NAT'ing firewall, and I have some rules for doing port forwarding/translation.

I was thinking about this the other day and I realized that there are other parts of the system that consume ports. Specifically, NAT and ephemeral port allocation.

It occurs to me that I could potentially have a conflict. If I set up a rule to forward/translate a port, and the NAT'ing code picks the same port for what it's doing, then there would be a big problem.

Eventually, I'll need to dynamically allocate ports of my own for transitory port forwarding/translation. I need a way to set aside some ports that I can use sure the NAT'ing code and the ephemeral port allocation code won't try to use.

If anyone has anything illuminating to say on this point, I'd be very grateful.