Re: Real IP behind SNAT

On Tuesday, 27 April 2004, at 09:13:58 -0500,
Nelson E. Castillo wrote:

>     Internet (gateway)
>     eth0 = real IP
>    -----------------
>    L I N U X  ROUTER
>    -----------------
>    eth1 = private IP
>     eth0 = real IP
>    -----------------
>  Wireless Access Point
>    -----------------
>
> I was  asked to put  a real  ip (not to  do static
> NAT) in the Ethernet interface of the WAP. How can
> I do it?

I suppose the real IP you have to assing to your WAP ethernet interface
is in the same range as the real IP address assigned to the external
interface of your Linux router. I think you can set up a proxy ARP entry
on this Linux router for the real IP to put on your WAP.

The external interface in the Linux router will reply to ARP requests
with its own MAC address, and will receive the incoming traffic. Then
you must have adequate routing entries to direct traffic going to the
"internal" real IP address through the internal (private) interface in
the Linux router, and hopefully it will arrive at the WAP.

The best way to avoid missing something in the process of configuring
everything is to take a paper and a pen, and draw the path of the IP
packets through your network. Do everything as the operating system
would do, and do what is needed to make packets arrive at the correct
place in your network.

Greetings.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.5)