Re: Making tcp start transfers slow

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:11:32 +0100, Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One possible problem - I don't think connbytes will patch with connmark
> (which IIRC ipp2p uses). I have been told that it is possible to get
> them to work, but patch will fail as they both change the same struct,
> so it's a do it by hand job...

Im usually all for the "do it by hand" thing, but im not really up for
screwing with this yet i think :)
Its correct that ipp2p uses connmark... That way it is only necessary to
tag a connection once, then leave it. Great for those huge setups, where
the ipp2p usage should be kept at a minimum.. Afaik its a bit heavy on
ressources.

[SNIP - torrent talk]
> LOL - I think your idea about reducing rwin may help - easy on a small
> setup where you have control.

That was my idea, but so far ive only found out how to alter the window
size on a per route basis. If it could just be extended a little by
making new connections have a small size, then putting them back to
normal after a while. But if i went all the way out there, i might just
as well start a complete dynamic window chaning thing.

[SNIP - more torrent and ipp2p]
> Yes - so you don't need to mark all those ports then.

Probably not, but i dont think the extra overhead will do any harm as
long as its a puny adsl im dealing with :) I guess im not trusting ipp2p
enough.

> Yes esfq on dst will make things fair per IP address - but in the case
> of ingress with the many tcps that BT uses dropping is important to get
> the sender to back off. Esfq on dst is not really a fairness queue any
> more WRT individual tcp connections, it may not make much difference,
> but if you use htb for per IP fairness and esfq classic, then the drops
> are a bit more likely to get at the most active connections.
>
> I modified esfq to drop from the head of a slot rather than the end -
> which in theory should make things slightly nicer and changed hash to
> use dst port. I really ought to make them into a switches (when I work
> out how) I also intend to patch with the change to sfq that was recently
> talked about on here. If it looks OK I'll put it up on my webspace
> sometime - I don't really know what I am doing though :-)

Sounds nice, share when you think its stable. Im all for betatesting too
if you need any.

> For us small bandwidth users a R(real)FQ would be nice - (e)sfq is OK
> but it often hashes into the same slot and perturb causes packet
> reordering which hurts more when used for ingress.

I will try fiddling without esfq with fingers crossed - thanks.

--
Patrick Petersen <lartc@xxxxxxxxxx>