Re: boring question

James wrote:
folks,

Sorry to disturb you with such a basic question, but I am new to bandwidth control , shaper etc... I tried reading some doc about it, but couldn´t apply them to solve my (following problem):

I have this..

[internet]------[eth0][linux box][eth1]--------[my lan]

ADSL (256k) eth0: 200.200.200.200 <- ex. eth1: 192.168.7.254 lan 192.168.7.0/24

I want, ex.: that user in my lan (192.168.7.10), ain´t trash my whole bandwidth with kazaa, pop, smtp whatever... so, I want this one to download only 15kps... What could I do ?

Hi James,

since I'm a noob on this list I'll answer the question to save the head guys typing.

You have almost the exact same setup as I have, except my Linux box is a dedicated Smoothwall which I added QoS to. I'm going to assume you want to keep that box as a normal multi-purpose box rather than reformat it to Smoothwall :-)

I wrote a set of instructions and a pretty decent script based on Wondershaper which will help you. Both are on my webserver at the following address:

http://www.ivan.hawkes.tv/contentitem.aspx?id=59&ciid=402

There are a couple of easy to follow articles there which I put together based on the harder to read but more comprehensive stuff held on lartc. Now, my adsl-shaper script isn't going to do what you want since I took out the IP based stuff since it wasn't relevant to me, so just follow the general instructions but use wshaper as your shaping script instead since it does support IP based limiting.

You will need to customise the script to get your IP addresses in, but basically what you are looking to do is simply put him into his own queueing discipline with a max bandwidth limit attached, and let all other traffic go through some other qdisc.

It is important to note that this generally works well for outgoing traffic but is not particularly effective against incoming traffic since that is *pushed* onto your machine and it has no way to control this. If your flatmate is maxing your bandwidth with mp3 downloads maybe a quick slap might sort him/her out ;->

--

http://www.ivanhawkes.com | ICQ: 173-392-038