Re: Making tcp start transfers slow

Roy wrote:
I just had one idea, about this.

what if  make iptables module which will make something like enlarged copy
of syn packet and send it back to the sender?
(another option would be to kill 1 or 2 ack packets for one syn packet this
whould force server to reduce speed)

that way htb could count upcoming packet and prepare by reducing other connetions speed? of course that synthetic packet will have higest possible priority since it supposed to be appear in future so cant be shaped anyway

I don't really get this :-)

I will try to add this functionality to my imq module next week probably. ------------------------ connbytes solution is not good for this, it slows down small picture loading in web pages very much, and big downloads get even more "unused" bandwitch. so effect is not good. expecialy that looks bad on network, when pages become incredibly slow, but big downloads fast.

Depends on lots of things I suppose - the way I have it set new connections get 256kbit - not that bad for browsing. ISTR seeing one of your scripts that did similar, IIRC using sfq with low rates. I don't quite do it like that - for a start sfq 128 queue length is too much and if you use it on ingress sfq will hash the ~4 simoultaneous connections your browser makes into one slot. I guess yours simulated a drop with the reordering when they swapped queues rather than really dropping with a short queue to get out of slowstart.

SFQ causes instability every time it rehashes on ingress because of this - there is a todo in the code somewhere. I like to set perturb high.

This ingress shaping with stuff made for egress is a bit tricky - but it can be tweaked a bit.

Andy.