Making tcp start transfers slow

Hey list
I have almost gotten my shaping setup up and running as planned. The
last barrier seems to be tcp overshooting availible bandwidth when its
starting a transfer, and thereby bursting the line, so ping rises for a
moment. At least this is my best guess at the problem :)
There is a possibility that its just plain old traffic being bursty for
some reason.. I am using bittorrent to test this, as it seems to be what
stresses the line the most.
Would it be possible to lower the default window size, and thereby
making tcp start up slower, or would this just lower the overall speed?
My efforts so far can be seen here:
http://tc.schmakk.dk/betashaper
--
Patrick Petersen <lartc@xxxxxxxxxx>