prio and pfifo_fast not working the same?

I have a machine running 2.4.25 w/ wrr, ebtables-brnf, iptables CLASSIFY
and esfq patches (not using esfq, though).

I have wrr set up, and within each class I want to prioritize ssh, web,
etc..., but right now I am testing with pings.

I have the following in my POSTROUTING mangle table:
CLASSIFY   icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            CLASSIFY set 0:6

I find that if I attach a prio qdisc to the wrr class the pings come
through fine (50-100 ms) even with a high bandwith application in the
background.

However, if I do not attach a qdisc to the wrr classes (leaving it with
pfifo_fast), the ping times are 500-1000 ms or more.

Any ideas why? I thought that a prio qdisc with default settings was
equivalent to pfifo_fast.

Thanks,

 - Andy