To: "Roy" <roy@xxxxxx>
Cc: <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 4:06 AM
Subject: Re: large routing table

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Roy wrote:

100kbytes of prefixes is not so good , hashing does not mean

anything

faster when checking ip you will need to test 4 bytes in any

way, since

hash is usualy 32 bit too. this can help on very complex rules

only. so

if you pump 100 kbytes of prefixes this is probably 7000

addreses so on

each packet 7000 tests will be done.

Incorrect. Linux route lookup is crappy, but not THAT crappy. Route-cache somewhat helps too.

-alex