Re: New IMQ device implementation supporting device EOS

Roy wrote:

>> >seems you may be unable shape ingress then. what basicaly voids all imq
>> >purpose.
>> >
>>Iam not sure. Every packet comin in in to router must come out !!! So we
>>need only shape out trafics. Incoming trafics we cannot shape, only
>>police. We cannot change speed and rate of incoming packets !!! have
>>look at example includet in my IMQ. There i use the corret way to shape
>>incoming and outgoung traffic. BTW: I have writen a TODO ....
>

>Here you are completely wrong what makes you think that you cant control
>incoming trafic?
>some wrong publication on internet?
>Almost everybody is doing this and you say not possible, doesnt your isp
>control how many packets you receive?

About what is trafics control ? And how can i control how much packet someone send for me ??? I can control how much can i send. Anything else is waste of time. EXCLUDE of application server where i want control traffic coming in to a specified port, eg sendmail etc. But combining router+traffic controler+application server in to one box is good idea ? No. Because of this its lower priority task for me. A quote from TODO:
* support for ingress queue ;)

>as I know main imq purpose was to control ingress.
Really ? Iam not sure. Have look in to first original IMQ device driver writen by Martin Devera:
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/imq.htm

>Ok, enough about this,
>I would like to know how stable is your driver, if it shapes localy
>generated trafic,
>since it was the main problem for imq all time.
>if it became stable I will implement your idea in my imq version too.

Its quite stable. I using it now on two busy routers in my production enviroment (avreage 20 NICs per router, average 70 users, 280 htb classes). Uptime is until kernel upgrade restart (week ago). localy generated trafic is only DNS and ssh for managment and statistics collection (rrd graphs from Stef Coene, www.docum.org, but the data collections is done by ssh) Setup scripts i usink like my example but with clasification of the intranet trafics (for this that much htb classes).

Thanks for the fedback.

Jiri

Zkontrolovane antivirusom ClamAv
Scanned by ClamAv - http://www.clamav.net