Re: newbie questions

On Thursday 25 March 2004 22:00, Paul Albert wrote:
> Hi all -
>

> I've been reading for the past day or so about the traffic control that
> is built into linux.  I have a situation that I have not seen
> documented, and I'm wondering how to handle this.
>

> I would like to have a group of users get a certain amount of bandwidth
> in both inbound and outbound directions on our firewalling bridge.  I
> know that I can group users together to the same qdisc by marking their
> packets through iptables to enforce egress qos.  However, I'm not sure
> how to go about doing this in an inbound direction.  Initially, I was
> thinking that I could use HTB, but this doesn't allow me to shape in
> both directions (correct?).
Indeed.  You can only shape outgoing traffic.  But you can use a router or a
bridge and shape on both nterfaces.

> The other part that is a bit confusing to me is that I would like to
> aggregate both inbound and outbound traffic to a single number, say
> 1Mbps.  Could I use IMQ to tie the interfaces eth0 and eth1 together to
> achieve this?  Is there another solution that would satisfy this
> requirement?
You can indeed use IMQ, but it can crash rour system (I don't exactly know
what can go wrong, but I think you can not drop locally generated packets in
the IMQ device)

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx