newbie questions

Hi all –

I’ve been reading for the past day or so about the traffic control that is built into linux.  I have a situation that I have not seen documented, and I’m wondering how to handle this.

I would like to have a group of users get a certain amount of bandwidth in both inbound and outbound directions on our firewalling bridge.  I know that I can group users together to the same qdisc by marking their packets through iptables to enforce egress qos.  However, I’m not sure how to go about doing this in an inbound direction.  Initially, I was thinking that I could use HTB, but this doesn’t allow me to shape in both directions (correct?).

The other part that is a bit confusing to me is that I would like to aggregate both inbound and outbound traffic to a single number, say 1Mbps.  Could I use IMQ to tie the interfaces eth0 and eth1 together to achieve this?  Is there another solution that would satisfy this requirement?

Any help is appreciated …

Paul