Re: Re: HFSC

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
>> Patrick McHardy wrote:
>>
>> BTW the Blue scheduler patch for 2.6 seems to be working nicely -
>> but I haven't had the time to run the tests on it that I wished to,
>> so I haven't posted anything further about it.
>
> I have in the mean time read up on SFB, maybe I'll extend blue when
> I find the time.

That reminds me - I have an "extension" to Blue I'd like to try and
cook up, if I ever manage to get the time.

Ingress Blue. Basically just having a token bucket on ingress, just
like traffic policing has - but using Blue on that. Running out of
tokens means packet drop, so increase probability. Bucket overflowing
with tokens means link idle, so decrease probability.

I have a feeling something like that might work well when trying to
reduce packet queueing at the ISP on a slow inbound link - better than
the usual strict ingress police or using IMQ with RED and such.

> PSCHED_GETTIMEOFDAY (or PSCHED_CPU in case of the kernel) are
> important for HFSC to work properly, PSCHED_JIFFIES has too low
> resolution.

That might be what was messing up my other simulations as well -
thanks for the heads up, I will see what comes out of that.

[...]

> I know what the problem is. Try: ip link set lo txqueuelen 1

Works like a dream!

> or upgrade to 2.6.4. The problem got introduces when fixing
> an off-by-one in pfifo_fast, before it would enqueue one packet
> with a txqueuelen of 0. In 2.6.4 this behaviour is restored,
> although it's a misconfiguration anyway to use leaf-queues with
> a limit of 1 for anything but well-formed flows.

Figures... :-) So I just got bitten by the default configuration of
txqueuelen of 0 for lo, that I didn't even happen to think about. Time
to upgrade to 2.6.4 as well it seems.

-- Naked