RE: Kernel Settings

It may be fixed with newer kernels, but just in case it isn't, disable
your page file. At some points, my Oracle servers running RH AS 2.1 went
absolutely dark for hours.. Damn kswapd!

By default the system will use the memory for disk caching and buffer
caching. In your case, if there isn't much traffic, then reallocate it!
Put it on your desktop if its not too noisy. If you keep it as the
firewall, you can at least say that it was cheaper than a Cisco :-)

I'm sure there are many more ways to enjoy your excessive hardware
purchase in different ways. Just use your imagination and it WILL
happen.