death interface problem.

Hi all,
I want to tell a problem and see if someone has already dealed with it:
I was configuring a traffic control computer using iproute2+tc+htb.init
the default software (except for htb.init that I downloaded from
sourceforge) that comes with RedHat Linux version 9.
I used the htb.init script to set up the sample configuration (I also
downloaded the sample files) and set it up.
Then I started transfering a file using http. Then (still during the file
transfer) I erased the tc rules by executing 'service htb.init stop' and
set up another rule (just changin the transmission rate ) snd start the
service again. It started quite fine, but after a few (very few really)
seconds, the computer stopped downloading the file.
since then, I am not able to start this interface, but I had another, so I
configured it again and waited to finish the download before changing
stopping the htb.init service, and when I made the change it downloaded
completely the file, but I tried again and the network card stopped
working too.
Both network cards stopped working, and I changed them, but I am not able
to start any interface beyond eth0. That happened with 3 computers using
different network cards.
I tryied the network cards in windows (on the same computers) and they
work fine.
If I make a 'service network start' the network cards seems to work, but
when I try to make a ping (sure that iptables has no rules and accepts
anything) they just don't work.
I tryed doing it manually with ifconfig and nothing. Just eth0 is working.
I'm in a hurry trying to solve this, so any help will be appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Carlos.