Re: Wondershaper breaks IPSec tunnels

Am I silently being told that this is the wrong question to ask of this
list?  :)

Jason A. Pattie wrote:
| Hello, been awhile since I've written.
|
| I now have a situation where I get to use traffic shaping for a client.
| ~ We implemented the WonderShaper script on our own firewall and
| experienced no problems.  I made some modifications to it to add IPSec
| protocol packets into the 1:10 high priority class using the u32 filter.
| ~ So far on our network, it's worked flawlessly, and we've received much
| benefit from it.  Interactive SSH and VNC sessions are now much, much
| smoother when, for example, we do an apt-get update/upgrade/install at
| the same time or any downloading, e-mailing, etc.
|
| However, yesterday, I installed it for a client using the same
| modifications we have been using, and at first, I only added the
| modifications to the client's external interface (eth1).  Within an
| hour, the FreeS/WAN VPN connections could no longer negotiate new
| tunnels when rekeying.  In his scenario, he has two DSL connections
| (eth1, eth2) coming into the firewall with a single internal interface
| (eth0).  It appears that something broke the VPN negotiation when I
| installed the WonderShaper.  As long as the tunnels are up when I start
| WonderShaper, they work fine, until they need to rekey.  Then they throw
| errors saying things like "max number of retransmissions reached", and
| "Possible authentication failure: no acceptable response to our first
| encrypted message", etc.  The moment I 'stop' the WonderShaper, the VPN
| tunnels can be reestablished successfully.
|
| I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these kinds of problems
| with the WonderShaper and IPSec tunnels?
|
| Also, I'm attempting to prioritize RDP packets on the ipsec0 interface.
| ~ Is this as simple as copying every line in the script except changing
| $DEV to $DEV2 which is assigned to ipsec0 and adding a u32 match for
| sport 3389?  That's currently what I've done.
|
| I just can't get over the fact that it works (in almost the exact same
| scenario, except for the 2 DSL circuits) on our firewall, but not our
| client's.
|
| These are the changes that I made to match IPSec traffic and place it
| into the high priority class (where DEV = eth1 -- the Internet):
| ----------
| # IPSec traffic in 1:10
| tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
| ~      match ip protocol 0x32 0xff \
| ~      flowid 1:10
|
| tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
| ~      match ip protocol 0x33 0xff \
| ~      flowid 1:10
|

| These are the changes to match RDP on the IPSec interface (where DEV2 =
| ipsec0):
| ----------
| # RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) in interactive class 1:10 on ipsecN
| interfaces
| tc filter add dev $DEV2 parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
| ~   match ip sport 3389 0xffff \
| ~   flowid 1:10
|

| Are these even valid?

> [...]

- --
Jason A. Pattie
pattieja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xperience, Inc. (http://www.xperienceinc.com)

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support.