Doubt on dsmark

Hi all,

        Atlast i successfully marked IP packets with dsmark.I want to know exactly in which place the dsmark will work? Suppose i have firewall on my traffic control machine.I am curious to know whether marking is done before getting firewall the packet or after firewall?Diagramatically it is like below:

                ---------------------------------
                          tc utility

                        Firewall

                       Interface

I want to know where exactly packets are marked and queued?

Thanks in advance,
Aravind.