script to perform dead gateway detection

I am also having some difficulty in doing dead gateway
detection using a shell script :-

Basically I am using ping -c 1 ${GATEWAY_1}  If it times
out, I supposed it got into error, so it is probably time for me to
change route.

However, even if the ping comes back, it does not mean the
GATEWAY is alive as my nexthop; this is because I figured
that the packet could have made a U-turn via the one of the alive
links to come back to answer the ping request, ie the gateway
is alive for a packet on the external network, but the gateway
is still down from inside point of view, and this can happen
due to a faulty connection between by second link IP and the
second link gateway !

Without patching the kernel to do dead gateway detection,
how do I find out if a particular gateway is dead as my
NEXTHOP ?