VLAN tagging without vconfig

Is it possible to do 802.1Q VLAN tagging of ethernet frames on a Linux
router based on the target host IP but without using vconfig/802.1Q
kernel module and routing through its virtual interface(s).

Ideally, I would construct the table like this:

   IP           MAC           VLAN-ID
1.1.1.1  aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff      50
1.1.1.2  aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:fe      51
.......  .................      ..

and then somehow tag the ethernet frame destined to the 1.1.1.2, i.e.
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:fe with 51. This is necessary for switch trunking port
on the switch to work properly.

I don't like vconfig approach because of the administrative burden
associated with the handling of 50+ VLAN virtual interfaces on the
level 3 (routing and firewalling). My problem is actually on the
level 2 and I want to keep it there.

Any idea or hint would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Kresimir