From: Radoslav Kolev [mailto:radolin@xxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 5:03 AM
To: Roy Walker
Subject: Re:  Strange tc issue

Hi, Roy!
Roy Walker wrote:

> When the system starts up it already shows a qdisc attached to eth0.
> This is just in bringing up the interface and not setting any commands

> with tc:
>
> qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev eth0 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=20]

Every interface has a QDISC when it's brought up, and by default this is

the pfifo_fast qdisc, which does no shaping
but just passes packets to the interface on a First In First Our basis.
So this a perfectly normal thing (beast :-) for the Douglas adam fans).

> The system will work fine in this scenario. It's only when I try to
> apply any other qdiscs to ANY interface in the system (regardless of
> whether it is eth0 or not), that I loose all inbound connectivity to
> the system. It will allow me to connect with tcp outbound, but icmp
> does not work outbound or inbound.

I'm not sure about that, check your iptables configurations. Also old
versions of HTB used to drop any traffic not filtered into a class, may
be a similar problem.

Greetings,
Rado

<<winmail.dat>>