Re: Latency low enough for gaming

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:34:20 +0200, Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Let's get the problem statement clear first.

[snip - lots of tcp]

> What can be done to improve the situation then?

[SNIP - more info and advice]

I think this is where it breaks for me. The solution looks to be just to
replace esfq with eg the fifo qdisc? Or perhaps something that will do a
little fair sharing without queuing, if that exists.

[SNIP - use RED]

I am working on making RED do my magic, but until now im a little unsure
of the result. Ive started from scratch, and it seems that the RED setup
im trying from Jim diGriz is working a little. At least a few packets
are dropped when the link is under use, and transferrate seems to
remain at configured level. A guided tour of RED is much appreciated, as
i find the sparse info online to be difficult.

[SNIP - carefull with ingress]

In the new script, im trying to always let important packets go through,
so only low priority packets gets dropped. Things such as ACK and the
like are prioritized over other things, and should hopefulle be accepted
no matter what, and if bandwidth is full, unimportant traffic is dropped.

> Long rant, phew,

Its fine with me. Sometimes getting things cut in cardboard helps one
way or the other. Im still learning.

I've put the beta of the new shaperscript here: http://schmakk.dk/~schmakk/
Its ugly, and might not even work at the moment.

Can somebody explain to me where IMQ hoks into the packet stream and
where it is put back in? Im thinking the packets should go out through
imq at the iptables rule, but i think im wrong.

--
Patrick Petersen <lartc@xxxxxxxxxx>