using traffic shaping to limit a local datagram application transmission?

I have an probing application that will send data as fast as it can (SOCK_DGRAM). Rather than program shaping into the application I would like to know if I can use traffic shaping to slow the application on the host system. i.e., if the queue for the qdisc is full then block (for a blocking socket) the socket send/write. I would like the ability to separate the traffic shaping from the application itself.

Will the application be blocked until buffer space frees up or will the packet instead be dropped because there is no flow control from a qdisc back to local applications?

Thanks,
Chris