Re: small netwok traffic shaping

Buna ziua, Adrian :)

Adrian Coman wrote:
- if the users are using file sharing software, their bandwidth for such applications must be limited to maximum 10kbps if noone else is requesting bandwidth for normal http transfers, else the bandwidth must be 0 for such applications.

There are two things that might be interesting for your work:

1. http://l7-filter.sf.net
That's a facility for either the QoS framework or iptables that enables to distinct between several application layer (iso layer 7, hence the name) protocols such as http and ftp. You could use that to apply special marks to packets which then help you to classify the packets.

2. http://rnvs.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/ipp2p/index_en.html
That's an extenstion to iptables which allows to mark connections that belong to common peer-to-peer applications (which would be helpful to apply the above quoted rule).

Unfortunately I can't give you any more pointers, as I'm myself new to the whole QoS-stuff. But I hope this will help you a little.

La revedere.
Mike