Problems with multipath routing.

Hi all, I have setup two multipath route tables on my system for doing
failover routing, What I want it's that if GW at route1 of the MP is dead,
traffic goes by route2, for doing that I have created the multipath routes as
follows:

ip route add table mail.traffic proto static nexthop via ${GW1} dev eth1
weight 1 nexthop via ${GW2} dev eth1 weight 250

But it does not run as I espected, I want that most (all if posible) the
traffic goes by GW1, and if it is down (DgD patches are applied) traffic must
goes by GW2, the kernel it's not taking into account the weight parameter or
maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Any hit will be apreciated ...

Best regards