Re: Deleting tc filters

> I have a fairly sophisticated bandwidth control tree. I am using filters
> to allocate traffic to various HTB buckets according to packet marks.
> Nothing about that is terribly hard.
>
> The problem is that my user population is dynamic. Users appear and
> disappear over time. Also, the priority to which a user is entitled
> changes over time. So, as these changes occur, I need to delete and
> recreate various classes, and I need to change the associated filters in
> order to route user traffic to the appropriate places. Deleting and
> reconstructing the entire tree is not an option.

Why not ?

My traffic control script starts with:

/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 root >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Which deletes *all* classes and qdisc's etc for eth0, then the script
re-adds things..

So I simply make a change to the tc entries in my script and re-execute
it. At worst a user might be unthrottled for 1/100 of a second or less
that it takes the script to execute....

Seems a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure out how to delete
classes and recreate them etc... (not to mention having to keep track of
the heirachy - eg deleting and readding in the correct order)

Regards,
Simon